Gateway LitFest Debate: Rules & Format
1. Event: The debate will be held in front of the large number of eminent writers on February 26, 2017 at NCPA, Mumbai.
2. Participants: The competition is open for college students. There can be upto two teams from a college/institution. A team will have two members. The total number of teams allowed at the debate will be 14.
3. Registration: The teams will be selected on the first-come-first-serve basis. The last date for registration is January 31, 2017, but the registration will be closed even before the last date once 14 teams are enrolled. So, early registration is encouraged.
4. Topic: The topic for the debate will be based on Indian Literature. The exact topic will be announced on February 25, the first day of the Gateway LitFest.
5. Every team has to prepare in advance on arguments both FOR and AGAINST the motion. Only on the day of the event, the teams FOR and AGAINST will be decided through draw of lots.
6. Format: Two minutes will be given to each team to present their argument, for or against. The moderator of the debate can exercise the right to notify the speaker if there is too much irrelevance regarding the topic or any sign of unrest caused due to the speech.
7. After all teams presented the arguments, a rebuttal round will be conducted in which where the teams can question their opponents based on their arguments.
8. The moderator will be monitoring and conducting the session. The moderator has the right to ask questions to any team/speaker.
9. Parameters of Judgement: Language/Oration skills (10 Marks); Relevance to the topic and logics of arguments (10 Marks); Defence and Objection Handling (5 Marks). Total 25 Marks.
10. The decision of the Panel of Judges will be final.
11. Use of unparlimentary language or personal abuse are strictly banned.
12. No new constructive arguments may be introduced in the rebuttal period. The teams can address previous questions from the opponents till the last rebuttal.
13. Any gains made outside of the established procedure are disallowed.